Concerts Featuring Brass Instruments
Here are some places to look for concerts featuring brass instruments. Of course the truly advanced brass player appreciates fine music of any instrument. Nevertheless, hot blooded young players want to hear lots of brass. Here are some good leads.
Concerts with Brian Kay
From the Top Radio Show
- National radio show featuring talented young performers. Attend a taping when they are in the Boston area.
Although many people think of classical orchestra music as calm music of strings, many of the Symphonies from the "Romantic" era and afterward feature powerful brass music. Composerts to look for include: Berlioz, Bruckner, Hindemith, Mahler, Rimsky-Korsakov, Shostakovitch, Sibelius, Richard Strauss, Tchaikovsky, Vaughan-Williams, Wagner.
- Boston Symphony Orchestra - One of the Worlds Finest Orchestras. The Boston Pops also usually feature lots of brass.
- Boston Philharmonic - Another excellent orchestra in Boston. Often features works with robust brass parts.
- The New Philharmonia of Massachusetts - A good community orchestra with concerts in West Suburban Boston. It is important to hear what gifted amateurs can do with music as a side interest.
- Metropolitan Wind Symphony - A very high quality community group with concerts in suburban locations.
- New England Brass Band - A very strong group.
Conservatory Student and Faculty Recitals
Hear the brass stars of tomorrow at the area's excellent conservatories and Unversities. Look for graduate and undergraduate solo recitals on your instrument, as well as ensemble, group, and orchestra concerts.
- New England Conservatory - Has an excellent listing of upcoming student recitals.
- Boston University - Has a very strong music department.
- Boston Conservatory - Excellent concerts can be heard here too.
- Berklee College of Music and Berklee Performance Center - Lots of Great Jazz and Pop concerts at these two venues.